Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Quilt Show & Quilt Historian


Saturday was the local Longmont Quilt Guild Second Quilt Show. There were approximately 130 quilts entered and attendees were asked to vote for their favorites in five categories. There were some great quilts there and I think everyone had a great time. One of our members is a quilt historian. She did three bed turndown presentations of the antique quilts. Jeananne owns six hundred quilts and often reproduces the antique quilts. I listened to her last presentation. She spent almost an hour talking about the various quilts that had be submitted for the show. It is amazing how much information she has on these quilts. And she teaches others how to search for information on their quilts. One signature quilt, dating back to the 1850's (don't quote me here) they were able to find that the church was having an anniversary hence they know the purpose of the quilt (given to the minister). I guess I should work harder at putting labels on my quilts!

1 comment:

  1. How cool. I love to know the story of a quilt. Some of the ones we construct today may be passed on to others long after we "pass on" ourselves. I think it is important to know who made it, when and where.

    ReplyDelete